The Federal government say they’re banning the export of plastic waste - it’s a good step forward - but it’s got to be backed by solutions for what we do to turn waste into a resource here, rather than ship it round the world.
The good news is, there’s already plenty of money to solve this problem: the NSW government collects $727 million dollars a year from you, every year, through the “waste levy” that makes up a substantial portion of your rates notice. Councils have to collect it, but the state government gets to spend it.
The bad news is, they’re only spending about 10% of that $727 million/year on actually providing waste & recycling infrastructure. The other 90% goes into general revenue. Shouldn’t the levy be used for the purpose it’s collected for?
At the City of Sydney, we’re already investing in innovative ways to turn waste into useful materials, like road surfaces, by collaborating with researchers and industry. Imagine how much could be achieved with the money you’re already paying the state government to deal with this?